Built in 1817, the 19 meter (63 ft) round old-style brick tower with lantern and gallery is painted white; the lantern is painted red. This is the oldest and best known lighthouse in the Bahamas and the oldest surviving lighthouse in the West Indies. Sadly, it is endangered as a historical architectural landmark. The lighthouse was in deplorable condition by spring 2015, with government agencies blaming each other for its neglect. Located at the western end of Paradise Island (formerly Hog Island) marking the northwest entrance to Nassau Harbor.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.